Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dangerous? Oh yeah!

A lot of people have asked me lately if Uganda was a dangerous place. I would answer with a short chuckle and reassure them that it was "safe". It was a stretch for me to say such a thing, because no aspect of missions is safe. It is filled with dangerous I won't even know about until I have my feet on the ground in Uganda and am inside the danger. Yet I'm not at all fearful of the danger. In fact, the danger that most third world countries have (in my experience) is not nearly as fear inducing as the dangers we ender her in the states.
I read an article today about a toddler that cut his hand on the monkey bars at his local park because someone had glued razors to them. It took me an hour just to wrap my head around something so horrific as a person who glues razors to playground equipment! Yet it is hardly the first time such horrors have happened in the states. School shootings and the teen violence rate have colored our news stories for decades. When I was in Guatemala the batman movie came out. When we heard about what happened in Colorado we were in shock. Yet just that morning we were discussing the murder of a local political figure in broad daylight. Guataka may have had a lot of guys with guns, but we have the truly crazy people. Our danger strike fear. Our dangers have no reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment