Friday, July 18, 2014

The Flood

It's raining! I love the rain. When it rains really good the weather gets perfect! Since I hate the heat, I love the rain. I have always been a believer in the motto that you can always add more layers but you can only take so many off, I have preferred cooler weather. Yesterday I stood in the rain and simply let it wash over me. It was wonderful. I think everyone was wondering what was wrong with me and eventually Rev. Dorothy came and got me worrying I would die of a cold. I thought that was unlike as it was still pretty warm outside.

Today the rain was not as pleasing. Sure it meant the air was cooler, but it also meant the roads were flooded. I love water and walking through it, with one exception, flood water. I mean if it was simply rain water pooling on clean roads I would have no issue. But it's not. Firstly, the roads are not clean. Imagine a dirt road made of garbage. Then imagine storm drainage off to the side. Now these storm drains are almost always full and many times not draining. So the water just sits. And we all know what happens to sitting water. So some scum accumulated. Then the rains come and flood the road and suddenly all that scum is in the road. These drains are filled with waste of all kinds and are uncovered nearly every where in these neighborhoods.

I can remember growing up and the road down the street would flood and we would walk to it. My parents would tell me about all the dangers of flood water. Well when you need to cross the road and the road is covered with water, you cross the road. So on this trip I have walked through my fair share of flooded roads. One was so high that it came to my knees and I could barely keep my skirt from getting drenched!

Sometimes you walk through the floods, but eventually the water goes away. This trip has taught me more than just not to wear my nice shoes when it might rain. It has taught me how to hike up my skirt and walk through the flood. Through fear, confusion, heart ache, and pain. Sometimes the floods come and wash away all your preconceptions and your left feeling wet and naked. But God is always there, the water doesn't stay forever, and before you know it you are standing on dry ground. Until the next flood. And another flood will come, but it's days are numbered too. Have faith. Keep your head held hight because you are a child of God and walk through the flood water, no matter how gross, because you'll be a better person when you reach the other side.

PS. Check out this goose that wondered into a children's club meeting! Or a duck. I'm not really sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment