Wednesday, June 4, 2014

First Week in Myanmar

Well folks I've been in Myanmar for a week. You may have been wondering what on earth happened to Brittany when I left last week for Myanmar and became very quite. So far I have only posted one short blog and Facebook post. But that is all about to change.

So the first few days I was here I had, what some would call, "hit the wall." A mixture of jet lag (which is way worse than it sounds), utter exhaustion, little to no sleep, the realization that I am very possibly insane, and being thousands of miles from my friends and family. The black pit of despair I fell into was deeeeeeeeep. But luckily for me God put some great people in my life to help me be pulled back out again.

When I arrived I had no idea what I would be doing. I had no purpose and it was eating me alive. I wondered why God has sent me around the world to do nothing. That mixed with my black hole of despair I was in brought me to my knees. I spent hours simply crying out to God to help, to do anything really. I asked for him for strength, but it was two whole days before I accepted that it was just me and God and began to let God do the work. My mind began to shift from what I was there to do to what God was there to do. I did find a purpose.

So next week I will begin teaching English (yeah I know, scary right?). It is going to be interesting indeed and if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. There will differently be a learning curve.

I will also be "preaching" at a church this week. It will be a first and it will be interesting. The good news is it's being translated so I only have to speak for 20 minutes to have a 40 minute sermon! Of course right now I'm looking at 15 minutes without translation so a little shorter than what they are used to here.

This week I also rode my first bus, taxi, and got to go with the young women here who work for the church to work with children. I love children and I had lots off fun with them. I can't wait to get some pictures posted so you all can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment